The District is making some enhancements to K-4 virtual instruction for students in the Universal model beginning Jan. 4, 2021, Director of Elementary Education Rainey Briggs said.
After winter break, teachers will be enhancing their virtual school day schedules as follows:
- The schedule on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday will be adjusted so that there is more synchronous (live) teaching between 7:45 a.m. and 2:40 p.m.
- Students will be able to access teachers more often during the day.
- Teachers will continue to meet with students in small groups and 1:1 and it may look a little different.
- Schedules will include a lunch break and a block of time for engaging in off-line encore classes and for encore small groups.
- Students will move away from using Seesaw on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday as they will be engaged in live learning more of the day.
- Plan that your child(ren) will be engaged in learning on a schedule that more closely resembles a schedule when students are in the building.
- Wednesday will continue to be an asynchronous learning day; students will continue to access learning via Seesaw on Wednesdays.
- Schedules across grade levels and across buildings will be slightly different as teams are crafting schedules in response to their learners' age and needs.
- This is not a time for movement in or out of the Universal or Fully Virtual instructional models. Families will be notified once the School Board decides if or when we are bringing elementary students back into buildings.
- Please note that teachers are moving away from creating video lessons for all mini-lessons. Attendance during the day will be vital to students learning, growth, and engagement.
- If your child receives special education services, please note that service times may need to adjust based on the new schedule. If changes are needed, you will be contacted by your case manager.
Please stay tuned for further details. Classroom teachers will be sharing specific schedules no later than Dec. 18 so that you have time to make any necessary arrangements.