Retiring Superintendent George Mavroulis discussed the work that he and incoming Superintendent Dana Monogue are doing during the transition period at the Board of Education regular meeting on Monday, May 13
He shared a five-page document that details the key meetings and groups that the superintendent plays a role in and noted he and Monogue and have reviewed regularly.
He noted Monogue will have spent 15-20 days in the District before she officially starts on July 1. He thanked Elmbrook officials for their willingness to let Monogue spend time here as most districts would only allow someone a handful of days, he said.
He noted she has spent time with the Board and Leadership Team and is scheduling interviews with Board members and principals. He noted CSCS will hold a farewell and welcome celebration for Mavroulis and Monogue on June 7.
"We're in really good shape,'' he said. "I understood the job but I didn't understand the feel of it. She will when the school year starts. ... I wish I could work with her and I think you are all going to feel the same way.''
In other news from Monday's meeting:
* State Senator Jon Erpenbach and State Representative Dianne Hesselbein updated the Board on potential public school education funding in the next biennial budget and other topics related to K-12 education before the regular meeting. They also presented Mavroulis with two plaques and MHS athletic director Bob Joers with another.
* The Board recognized members of the MHS forensics and debate teams who have qualified for their respective national competitions. Adviser Brittany Newman noted about 20 members qualified this year although everyone won't be able to attend.
* The Board elected Bob Green (president), Annette Ashley (vice president), Todd Smith (clerk) and Bob Hesselbein (treasurer) to officer positions for 2019-20.
* The Board approved the individual teacher contract list for 2019-20.
* The Board approved the final notice of non-renewal for teacher contracts. The Board voted at its regular meeting on April 8 to approve preliminary notice of non-renewal due to budgetary reasons.
* The Board approved its 2019-20 meeting calendar. The Board decided to keep its meeting on July 15. There was discussion about moving it to July 22 but the meeting would have conflicted with an Internal Advisory Boundary Committee meeting. The first meeting in August has been moved to Tuesday, Aug. 13 to avoid being held on a religious holiday.
* The Board approved the 2019-20 pool fees. No changes were made from the past year.
* The Board approved the 2019-20 school nutrition fees for breakfast and lunch. No changes were made, per the school nutrition services team's recommendations, from the past year.
* The Board approved the 2019-20 CESA 2 contract. Each year the District enters into an agreement with CESA 2 membership for services and other offerings.
* The Board approved the Dane County New Teacher Project agreement for 2019-20. Sixteen districts participate in the program and MCPASD has participated for the last several years..
* The Board approved a donation of $14,156.50 from the Sunset Ridge PTA for collaborative-flexible seating to be used in the school's library-media center. All donations of more than $10,00 must be approved by the Board, according to policy.
* The Board approved a payment to Godfrey & Kahn.
* The Board approved the school safety drills as part of the consent agenda.