Work Permits

Printer-friendly version

How to Obtain a Work Permit 

Work permits for Kromrey students can be obtained through the Student Services Office. Students under the age of 16 must have a work permit. If you change jobs, you will need a new work permit. A work permit may be obtained Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday between the hours of 8:00am-3:00pm in the student services office. 

If you are not a KMS student, please contact Sherrie Prest at to set up an appointment. 

The Department of Workforce Development requires all of the following documentation in order to process/acquire a work permit:

  • One of the following: birth certificate or certified record of birth from the hospital in which birth occurred, baptismal certificate, Wisconsin Driver’s License or state photo ID, passport. Only originals will be accepted. 
  • Social Security Card (copies are not accepted) – If you do not have a social security card, you must show proof of application (and your SS#) before applying for the work permit. Please call or visit the Social Security Administrative Office at 6011 Odana Rd, Madison – 866-770-2262 for more information on how to obtain a social security card if you do not have one. 
  • Letter from the employer. It must be written on letterhead (or business paper with business card attached) stating the intention of the employer to employ the minor; describing job duties, hours of work, and time of day the minor will be working, followed by signature of the employer. 
  • A letter from your parent/guardian consenting to the minor’s employment.
  • $10.00 work permit fee. Checks and cash are accepted. Please make checks out to KMS. Cash must be for the exact amount. KMS does not have cash in the offices to make change.  A receipt will be issued and you should be reimbursed by the employer in your first paycheck.

Work permit documentation must be submitted by 10:00AM to be processed the same day.  Students must be present to sign the work permit once processed. 

Work Permit Handout for Students

WORK PERMIT Requirements

Labor Standards - Work Permits

Please note: During the summer months (mid June-August) school building hours and staff availability vary. It is best to call or email for an appointment. 

For questions, please contact Sherrie Prest in student services at 829-9538 or