Work Permits

Printer-friendly version

Due to COVID-19 and the community having limited access to the school building, we ask that you contact Brenda Ziegler  at or 829-9420 to set up an appointment to receive a work permit. Thank you!

Minors must be at least 14 years of age to be employed in most jobs.

Work permits can be obtained through the Student Services Office. Students under the age of 16 must have a work permit. If you change jobs, you will need a new permit.

The Department of Workforce Development requires the following documentation in order to acquire a work permit:

  • One of the following: birth certificate, baptismal certificate, Wisconsin driver’s license or state photo ID, passport (Documentation must be original- COPIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED)
  • Social security card (copies not accepted) - temporary can be obtained from: Social Security Administration Office, 6011 Odana Road, Madison - (866) 770-2262
  • Letter from the employer written on letterhead or other business paper stating the intention of the employer to employ the minor; describing the job duties, hours of work, and time of day the minor will be working, and signature of the employer.
  • A letter from your parent/guardian consenting to the employment, or a countersignature of the parent/guardian on the employer’s letter.  Please also include the student's home address.
  • $10.00 permit fee (reimbursed by the employer in your first paycheck)

Work permit documentation must be submitted by 10:00 AM if you need it processed the same day.  Work permits are not processed on the spot - you will need to leave your documents with us for a short time.