Hello Elm Lawn Family,
|“The role of the principal is to help establish challenging goals and ‘safe environments’ for teachers to critique, question, and support other teachers to reach (these) goals together.”|
I feel fortunate to serve as your principal at Elm Lawn Elementary School. Please feel free to contact me at email@example.com or 829-9071, and when you see me at the bus landing or in the hallways, please introduce yourself.
Principal Elm Lawn Elementary School
Current Events at Elm Lawn 2018
- Our School Improvement Team met Monday to review staff feedback on improving student behavior outcomes.
- Elm Lawn Justice League students met with their MHS Justice League mentors on Wednesday during the lunch hour.
- Due to the Friday snow day, our fourth grade Battle of the Books was moved to the following Tuesday, Feb. 13.
- Elm Lawn staff began planning for Literacy Week, February 26 - March 2. We're excited for the activities we have in store for our Eagles!
- Keeping Safe presentations and learning continued this week, with school social worker, Chris Mand, and school resource officer, Cesar Salinas, teaching students how to be safe.
- Our fourth graders attended a PTO-sponsored field trip to the Overture Center. The students and staff saw the performance, "Freedom Riders."
- Our January Eagles' Nest was hosted on Tuesday and included students making a "human machine" and also creating a "handshake" that fellow nesters will use to great one another when crossing paths.
- Staff that work with third and fourth grade students participated in job-embedded professional learning with Kara Arnold, Teacher's College Staff Developer. This week included days three and four of six total PD days for third and fourth grade teachers in the area of Literacy.
- Keeping Safe lessons continued for students, facilitated by Chris Mand (school social worker) and Cesar Salinas (school resource officer).
- We were pleased to celebrate the work of our school crossing guards: Jim Wexler (AM) and Linda Hellenbrand (PM) on Park Street; Kris Cope on Woodgate Rd.; Kathy Braman, Laurie Bragg-Valaskey, Rachel Lee, and Sarah Bremer (and others!) in our bus and drop-off lanes at Elm Lawn.
- Fourth grade students are completing applications for our 3-on-3 round-robin basketball tournament. The "league" will be during students' lunch recess, and Mr. Cavill, Elm Lawn PE teacher, is leading this work to address Equity Outcome #3: Proportional representation of all 4K-12 student subgroups in electives, upper level, advanced, rigorous classes, enrichment courses, after-school enrichment (elementary), student organizations, and co-curriculars.
- Extended School Day began this week. Elm Lawn teacher, Anne Solie, is once again facilitating all-things extended day. The good news is that because Elm Lawn is so centrally-located in Middleton, we can offer transportation between the elementary and middle school bus route times. Our students then use KMS as a "transfer point" to either walk home from KMS or to board another bus to ride home with the KMS students. Thanks to Anne for all her leadership
- Elm Lawn Student Services staff focused on long-term planning of professional learning for Elm Lawn staff. From Morning Meeting to PBIS to Response to Intervention (RTI) processes, our team is seeking to create coherence around this important work.
- Elm Lawn grade-level teams continue their inquiry cycles as part of our Meaningful Collaboration focus for 2017-2018. Examples include: Super-Reader Strategies, labsites with our Instructional Coach around small-group reading instruction, calibrating F&P running records and recording informal running records, and reading-based cycles focused on intervention strategies for struggling readers.
- Our Eagle's Nest action team of staff has schedule our next NEST for January 12. We look forward to thecommunity-building activities with our multi-age Eagle's NESTs.
- Our Eagles' Square-1 Art work arrived. It's amazing to see the wonderful work our students create in Art, under the direction of Joz Richardson and Darcy Sage.
- Our third and fourth grade Justice League members met with their MHS mentors on Wednesday.
- Mr. Schell is a member of the Science Curriculum Renewal Team, of whom met Thursday evening to continue our work towards exploring innovative science practices.
- And Educator Effectiveness Summary Year Planning Sessions continued this week. Our staff have laser-like focus on helping our students become the "best versions of themselves" as engaged Eagle learners!
- Dr. Mavroulis visited our Monday staff meeting to update our staff on the Future Planning Committee's work.
- Our students in Justice League attended a field trip on Wednesday.
- Fourth graders are signing up for this year's Battle of the Books.
- Our Elm Lawn School Improvement TEAM analyzed disaggregated graduation, behavior, and achievement data at our Monday meeting.
- Mr. Schell attended the AWSA SAIL workshop on Wednesday alongside MCPASD principal teammates and Rainey Briggs, Director of Elementary Education. Our work towards fostering school cultures that implement highly-effective meaningful collaboration (PLCs), in which educators work collaboratively in recurring cycles of inquiry to achieve better results for our students continues...
- Our Elm Lawn PTO has again partnered with Jersey Mike's Subs. Each $2 donation with coupon (Wednesday through Friday) gets our students and families and staff a free Jersey Mike's sub.
- Kara Arnold, Staff Developer from Teacher's College of Columbia University, visited Elm Lawn Wednesday and Thursday to facilitate job-embedded, professional learning for our third and fourth graders teachers and support staff.
- Our Scholastic Book Fair wrapped up Tuesday evening along with our last night of Parent Teacher Conferences. Book BINGO to spotlight the fair was a hit.
- Several Elm Lawn staff attended their initial training in Non-Violent Crisis Intervention professional development. We're fortunate to have multiple staff trained in this program to support our learners and learning community.